If you want to trade independently yet still have access to a variety of useful resources, you might find a trading platform to be a useful tool. To make things even better, you can make use of trading platforms available in the UK anytime, anyplace. As long as you have a smartphone, tablet, or laptop and an internet connection you can use them freely.
To give you a helping hand with choosing the right trading platform, we thought we’d list some of the most popular trading platforms in the UK. We will also discuss how to filter through the options and provide some information on how many people actually invest in stocks in the UK.
The best trading platform for beginners: eToro
0% commission stock trading
Multiple assets available: trade crypto, stocks, ETFs
Copy trading feature: copy trading portfolios and strategies of the best traders
*all trading involves risk
Top 12 Trading Platforms in the UK
With the great number of existing trading platforms, you might find yourself feeling a bit lost. After all, trying to make a decision when there are so many choices available that it can be daunting. Here are some of the best trading platforms in the UK – let us quickly introduce you to them:
- eToro – Often considered to be one of the best available, this platform offers zero-commission trading, trader matches, graph trading scenarios, great educational tools for beginners, and much more. With all this, it’s plain to see why it’s such a popular trading broker.
- Capital.com – those who are looking for low spreads, no commission fees and great AI technology to assist with investments are likely to find that Capital.com is a worthwhile choice
- City Index – While City Index does have some non-trading fees, there’s no minimum deposit for opening an account, customisability across all platforms, great news flow, and a lot more to make it one of the best trading platforms in the UK.
- CMC Markets – While the desktop platform of CMC Market may not be ideal, the web and mobile versions are excellent. Alongside detailed interactive charts and data to help you with your trading decisions, it can be an excellent choice for more advanced crypto-traders.
- FXCM – FXCM offers low trading fees and a low minimum deposit requirement, but one of the main benefits for many traders is that they specialise in cryptocurrencies. While it may not be the most inexpensive choice out there, many consider it to be well worth the money.
- IG – While IG does offer brokerage in all stocks and cryptocurrencies, there are higher trading fees. As a high-performing platform with a user-friendly interface, it’s a great choice for more experienced traders who want an easy-to-use site.
- Interactive Brokers – Despite having a more complex registering procedure and high inactivity fees, there is a lot on offer at Interactive Brokers. From their exceptional research tools to the ability to trade in crypto, stocks and bonds.
- Iron FX – This multi-platform brokerage is recognised worldwide for being one of the best in the market. It offers almost anything you could ask for, from multilingual support to many tailored trading products and services, as well as many educational and informational trading tools.
- Pepperstone – There is a lot to like about Pepperstone, like the incredible market analysis, minimum deposit fees, low trading commissions and trading advice. On the other hand, these brokers only work in forex and CFD, and don’t have the ideal educational tools either.
- Plus500 – If you’re looking for an easy-to-use trading platform, it’s well worth taking a look at what Plus500 has to offer. With a simple two-step login procedure, straightforward interface, and good customer support, it’s a great choice for investors who are still learning the ropes.
- Robinhood – Younger investors in the UK who are just starting out might find Robinhood to be one of the better choices. The reason is the fact that it can be an excellent platform to trade with small budgets, as well as being free to use with no fees. Featuring market data, instant access to deposited cash and more, it’s a good place to get started.
- Fineco – When it comes to trading in international assets a platform like Fineco can often be an excellent choice, thanks to its wide variety of financial markets and lack of fees
*all trading involves risk
A closer look into the UK’s best trading platforms
Looking for a little more information on the different sites listed above? Don’t worry, we’ve got you covered with a closer look into each of them to help you get a well-rounded idea of what each one has to offer.
There are several reasons why eToro deserves a spot on this list. Providing services to more than 17 million people in multiple parts of the world, there’s no doubt that eToro is one of the most popular trading platforms available – but why exactly does it have such a large following?
Well, a key factor of eToro’s success is the excellent features available. One of the most notable is Copy Trading, which allows practically anyone to make passive investments with ease. All you need to do is choose a verified trader to copy, and how much to invest, and you’ll be good to go.
You’ll also be able to trade thousands of assets on this site, from cryptocurrency to stocks, which is certainly something that many people looking for a good platform will be able to make use of.
Outside of this, there are also points like a user-friendly and easy-to-navigate site, the fact that there’s no stamp duty to pay, regulation from the United Kingdom’s FCA (Financial Conduct Authority), as well as CySEC and ASIC. With these extra in mind, it really shouldn’t be hard to see why so many people choose to make their investments with eToro.
Here are just a couple of other things that you might want to keep in mind when considering whether or not to choose eToro:
- Depositing funds is generally incredibly easy and you’ll have several ways to do so; from your credit card, to an e-wallet
- Whether you’re a new trader or you’re more experienced, you’re likely to enjoy the fact that eToro doesn’t charge any commissions on stock trading
- There are a couple of other fees associated with eToro, such as crypto trading fees and withdrawal costs. While not too high, they’re still worth remembering before signing up
*all trading involves risk
While Capital.com may not have been operating as long as some of the other platforms on this list, there’s no doubt that it’s one of the best options available to UK traders. Why? Overall, the fact that Capital.com offers a variety of trading options whilst being an inexpensive site to use makes it an appealing choice for both experts and beginners alike. Regardless of what you’re looking for, variety of cost-efficiency are two factors that you’re going to want to keep in mind.
With Capital.com, you’ll have access to more than 3,000 different investment instruments, including more than 2,400 shares – which is certainly an impressive amount, especially when you consider how you could benefit from having so many trading options. From stock CFDs, to ETFs and forex; the variety that’s on offer isn’t something to dismiss.
Outside of this, there’s also quite a bit more to look forward to when using this platform. Of course, the artificial intelligence that this site uses only helps to improve the trading experience of pretty much anybody who uses it for their investments. Plus, with their analytic tools, charts, trading insights and much more, you’ll have access to pretty much everything you need to make the most out of your endeavours.
If you’re looking for more, here’s a quick look into some of the other features that make this platform a great choice for so many investors:
- Licensed by the FCA, you won’t need to worry when using Capital.com for your investments
- Overall, you’ll get to enjoy low spreads with this site, as well as spread betting alongside CFDs
- While it doesn’t accept PayPal, there are still quite a few payment methods to choose from
There’s no doubt that day trading and similar short-term trading strategies have become more popular in recent years, but that doesn’t mean that there’s no longer any benefit to long-term investments. In fact, several advantages come with buying and holding for significant periods – and if you’re looking to make the most of this type of strategy in particular, you might just find IG to be the best trading platform for you.
Being a well-established brokerage firm, having started out in 1974, IG is a trusted company that has been popular in the UK for quite some time now. This alone is something that makes IG a great choice, providing a service you know you can trust.
Here are some of the things that users are likely to enjoy when joining this site:
- It’s incredibly easy to get started when trading traditional assets with IG; they even support a number of international markets to provide more variety and opportunity to users
- If you trade on the site regularly, you won’t really have to worry about commission fees
As we mentioned earlier, Interactive Brokers is generally an excellent choice for the more seasoned investor. Unlike many platforms that are made to be as simple and beginner-friendly as possible, many experts will find that Interactive Brokers have numerous advanced features to assist them in making the best possible trades.
For many experienced traders, it’s the ability to use more progressive software and functions that both piques their interest and keeps them coming back, but there’s plenty more to love. For example, Interactive Brokers offer their users an extensive library of traditional stocks, CFDs, EFTs and more, allowing them to make investments in pretty much any area they’re interested in. Outside of this, we’d also like to mention that:
- Unlike some of the options on the market, you’ll have the ability to trade US stocks
- There is no minimum deposit requirement to adhere to
- There are more than 135 markets on Interactive Brokers, spanning across over 30 countries
- For the most part, the biggest downside is that it’s not suitable for beginners, but if you’re looking for something more advanced, this won’t really pose an issue
Finding a UK-based trading platform is generally important for investors within the United Kingdom, but this doesn’t have to mean that you’re limited to just stocks and assets from this part of the globe. While there are many good platforms out there that have a broader scope when it comes to trading capabilities, it’s no secret that Fineco has one of the best ranges for both UK and international trading needs.
Whether you want access to markets in the US or Canada, Europe, or Australia, you’ll generally find that Fineco will have some good options available. As a European financial institution with access to a large scope of markets, it’s not hard to see why it’s one of the best options for those who want to trade internationally.
Alongside this, you’ll also get enjoy some of the other features of this platform too, such as:
- Top-notch portfolio management tools to make it even easier for you to keep track of your investments
- Competitive fees on a variety of international markets, as well as no commission fees on CFDs
- Interactive Broker also offers great analysis to further assist you in your trades
Which one of these platforms is the best?
Each of these sites is effective in its own ways, but which one comes out on top? While we generally think that this can largely come down to personal preference, there’s no doubt that eToro is one of the most popular options out there. Plus, it’s also a great choice for those who are interested in crypto, which isn’t something you’ll find on all trading platforms.
While you can compare certain factors, like the fees that they charge, it’s also worth thinking about the different features and capabilities of these platforms. Even if you find one to be the most cost-effective, it may be lacking in other ways that you won’t want to miss out on later in your investment journey.
Assets, fees, security, reputability and much more are all just a few of the things that we’d encourage you to consider.
Which one should you choose?
In general, you’ll find that these 5 platforms will all work perfectly for your trading needs thanks to everything that they have to offer their users. From their fees, to regulation and security; there are several things that make these trading platforms worthwhile. Even so, you can only pick one to use as your main trading tool, so which one should you go with?
In most cases, this will depend largely on what it is that you need. Those who are more interested in crypto investments, for example, won’t usually find platforms that don’t offer cryptocurrency trades to be quite as effective, whereas a site like eToro that offers these could be an excellent choice.
The best thing you can do when trying to find the right platform is to simply consider what it is that you want to trade/achieve and find out what the different sites available could do to help you reach your full potential.
What makes a great trading platform?
With the numerous options that are available to you, it’s certainly worth learning a little more about what goes into making a good platform. This way, you’ll often have an easier time comparing some of the different sites and finding the best one for your needs. Fortunately, there are many points that can be considered that are important for practically any trading platform, such as:
- The types of assets that are available
For most, the financial instruments that are on offer will be one of the key things to consider (unless you’re an investor that has no preferences or experience in trading a particular asset). Having more variety is always something that you can take advantage of, but if you have any that you feel more drawn to, it’s well worth looking out for which sites cater to these assets and the fees that are associated with trading them. The great news is that you won’t only find that there are many different trading options available; there are also plenty of marketplaces to trade on, too.
Stocks, cryptocurrency, EFTs, bonds and more are all worth looking out for whether you have a preferred asset to trade in or not.
- The fees and commissions that come with their services
Of course, for many investors, knowing that you’re making money on your investments is crucial – and because of this, it’s essential that you look into the fees that you’ll be charged on any given site before you decide to sign up. There are many good platforms that simply charge a small commission for the services that they have to offer, but there are also several that charge no fees in certain areas of trading too, which is certainly worth keeping in mind.
Things like inactive fees, withdrawals and commissions based on the varying forms of trading are all important to remember when comparing the costs that come with the services that are available to you.
- Their security measures, regulation, and trustworthiness
No matter how promising a site may seem, if they can’t offer sufficient protection, it’s simply not worth it. This can be important to consider in a number of different forms; security of assets, regulation, and licensing, and frauds.
It isn’t usually too hard to find out how a platform is protected. If they are, they’ll usually make it clear how they can protect your data and assets. Similarly, knowing that the platform is regulated by a trusted body is another important aspect to keep in mind.
Unfortunately, in the financial world, there are many scams and frauds that you need to be wary of. They’re not always easy to spot or navigate, especially when there are many promising sites that look legitimate. Luckily, with a little time and effort, you should be able to find one that you can trust.
Thankfully, it isn’t usually too hard to find the info you need on any given site. Often, by taking a look at what other users think (typically via reviews) you can generally find out what’s in store for you.
- The information they provide; from educational resources to analytics
There are many good trading platforms that not only provide their users with accurate market data, but also advice for anyone who’s just starting out. These can be absolutely essential, especially for beginners, but it is always important to make sure that the information you’re being given is accurate. It’s worth taking the time to do your own research or if possible, find out where the site is getting its information from.
You can also typically find data from the website itself, like cash flow and the company’s historical analytics. In general, information like this can be worth keeping in mind, so be sure to take a look at any data and metrics that are provided.
While these are just a few examples of the different factors that you should look out for when trying to find a good trading platform, it should hopefully give you a better idea of some of the things that you’re going to need to keep in mind while searching the market for the best possible trading tools.
*all trading involves risk
How to Find a Trading Platform For Your Needs
Since each and every trading platform is different, it is important to not rush into a final decision. If you’re not quite sure on how to choose between the options mentioned above, it might be worth considering these factors during your search:
- Are you an experienced trader or a beginner?
- How much time and money are you willing to invest?
- How good are the customer services?
- What are your financial goals and investment plans?
- Do you have a preferred type of trading?
- How secure is the website, and is it regulated?
- Is the trading platform easy enough to use?
- Will you have access to all the information you need to make the most out of your investments?
- How much do they charge for deposit, trading and inactivity?
While it may seem like a long list, the most important thing to do is think about what you’re looking for. Having a good understanding of what you hope to achieve is generally the best way to make a solid choice.
How Many People Trade in the UK?
Investing in the stock market can certainly be beneficial, but it’s worth learning a little more about how common it is in the United Kingdom. According to Tradingplatforms.com/uk , you’ll find that a rather moderate percentage of individuals in the UK invest in the stock market. In fact, just 13.5% of UK shares are owned by people, with the rest belonging to banks, investment firms and other businesses.
Many individuals might be put off by the risks that can come with investment, despite the high rewards that are on the table. This gives you the perfect opportunity to take advantage of deals that the majority of the population aren’t even aware of. But you’ll still have to be quick to beat other traders – and this is why choosing the right trading platform can be essential.
*all trading involves risk
Conclusion – Choose Based on What’s Important For You
There are plenty of trading platforms in the UK, which makes choosing just one quite a challenge for some individuals. However, if you put in the time and effort to narrow down your options, you’re most likely to find the one that suits all your needs.